Sunday, February 03, 2008

Blue Ridge Pottery Obsession



It all started when I saw a set of dishes at an antique mall back in '88 or so. Beautiful, sunny, hand-painted yellow flowers on a ripply edged plates. They wanted $280.00 for an incomplete set. It spoke to my re-emerging ruralness, to the carefree country girl stuck in the city. I loved it. I had to have it. But I also had to have car insurance, so it stayed in the booth. I flipped the plate over and wrote down what was stamped on the back. "Blue Ridge. Hand Painted. Underglaze. Southern Potteries, Inc. Made in USA." Complete with a mountain and a little pine tree. Thus began my obsession. I bought a collector's guide and scoured flea markets, antique malls, yard and estate sales. Now my world is filled with over 50 different designs, from my original beloved "Sunny" on a Colonial plate, to this maple leaf china cake tray in "Tussie Mussie". Back before the eBay boom, plates went for as much as $10. to $25. each. Now, like much of the collectibles market, not so much. Still, I look for Blue Ridge everywhere. Like the Kovels say, "Buy what you love." Yep, I love it.

No comments: