Saturday, May 17, 2008

The days are just packed

Road trip! While I detest city traffic, a road trip is another story. Some of the best times I've had have been in a vehicle between here and there, seemingly out in the middle of no where. Discovering new places, enjoying the countryside, singing with the radio, talking about nothing. The day dawned sunny and warm, the breeze was cool, the coffee hot, the Loft was playing Jackson Browne, what could be better? Off we went.

About four hours away sat the guitar I had to have. We had some time to spare. A snack here, an outdoor flea market there, the beauty of spring everywhere. And an alarming number of roadkill armadillos. We didn't used to have armadillos in this part of Missouri, but they've been migrating. Don't know how they found their way, seems they're too stupid to even get out of the way of cars. But besides all the 'possum on the half shell, there were hawks and meadowlarks, indigo buntings and owls, turkey and escaped guinea hens, all kinds of wildlife to see.

Then there was Caveman BBQ. In Richland, Mo a cave was converted into a restaurant. Very weird, very kitch, pretty amazing. The owner drives you up from the parking area through the woods, past now-defunct, old time resort cabins and up to the restaurant in a cave in a bluff over the Gasconade River. The people were nice, the food was good, but the experience was the thing. The view of the river and valley from the balcony was stunning as was the railing made of wagon and mill wheels, gears and wrenches. The owner did it all himself, a labor of love. Advancing in age, the owner wants to sell. Wish I had a winning lottery ticket.

I used to think I'd need a winning lottery ticket to own a 40-series Martin. Then again, who knew I'd ever have a "real job"? When I bought my Sigma Anniversary, it was about as much money as I had to my name. This time I did not cut it as close to the bone, being (in theory) a responsible adult. So off across the state we road tripped, and back we came with the precious cargo. It's a beautiful D-41, open and warm with incredible sustain, beefy bass and clear ringing trebles. The previous owner called it a "she", so far be it for me to attempt luthier gender reassignment. A "she" she will remain. My first girl guitar.

No comments: