Sunday, May 25, 2008

Rain Songs


Rain. The love/hate relationship continues. Depressing, refreshing. Flowers, floods. Welcome, stop. "If the rain comes they run and hide their heads, they might as well be dead, if the rain comes....."

Since we did not have a camping trip planned for the holiday weekend, I'm a bit surprised that it rained. Usually, merely packing the tent into the truck brings on storm clouds. We've camped through a tornado in Arkansas, flash floods in the Ozarks and driving rain wind sheers that flattened the tent in Oklahoma. Canoed and kayaked in the same. We've had to find a hill to park on to tip the accumulated water out of our boats on top of the truck. Today's picnic under a park pavilion during a downpour and hail storm was just par for the course. Seems the rain and I are inextricably intertwined.

Here comes the rain again, so rock me on the water before the deluge while I listen to the rhythm of the falling rain. I'm covered in rain, 'cause the sky is cryin' like a box of rain. And it will rain when I die, when it will be the ashes, the rain and I.

No comments: